Glasgow dating com
With over 1500 rented properties: Homes are our purpose, service is our priority.
Each route was colour-coded and car 664 in the foreground would have had chrome yellow panels above the windows, bearing route information, probably similar to that of the car in the background.After the war, the YMCA reopened the theatre as the Lyric Theatre.This picture shows the building when it was owned by the YMCA and it remained so until it was demolished in the late 1950’s. ) This mid-1920’s view of Sauchiehall Street looking west was taken near the Renfield Street intersection.The policeman on point duty has stopped traffic so that the tramcar can turn right into Sauchiehall Street from Renfield Street. ) A tramcar heading for the International Exhibition at Kelvingrove Park is just turning into Sauchiehall Street from Renfield Street in this 1901 scene.Three years earlier, the name of the church had been changed to Renfield Street Church of Scotland and it continued as such until it closed in 1964 when the congregation became part of what it now known as Renfield St. The city where the Industrial Revolution began was hosting its second great International Exhibition and the recent electrification of the tramway system served to further showcase Glasgow’s achievements.On the left, beyond the intersection with West Nile Street, is the Baroque Empire Theatre which opened in 1897.
It attracted some big name performers and particularly in the years after the Second World War when American stars including Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Dorothy Lamour, Jack Benny and Danny Kaye played to packed houses.
Villas and terraces with distinguished names like Kensington and Windsor Place were constructed during the second decade of the 19th Century and the street became a quiet and narrow suburban thoroughfare known as Saughie-haugh Road.
It was widened in 1846 and then in the 1850’s some of the older buildings were replaced with tenements and in the 1870’s with commercial properties.
Armstrong’s Hotel is on the left and on the right with its magnificent tower and Grecian temple front is St. The tower was taken down in 1957-58 to make way for St.
Andrew’s House, a multi-storey office building, but the church itself remained in use until 1974.
It served as the Glasgow base of the D’Oyly Carte Opera but when Howard & Wyndham’s lease ran out in 1913, the Central Halls Company who owned the property ran the theatre as the Lyric Picture Palace.